Saturday, July 6, 2013

The Economics of Food

The day began with a trip to Waffle House.  While entertaining company this weekend someone mentioned this very popular food chain.  I hadn't been in years, but I still had fond lingering memories of the Pecan waffle I consumed there on my last visit.  Off we went & I frankly I was excited about my upcoming cheat meal.  Pecan waffles covered in butter & syrup.  I was also going to allow myself a luxurious side of bacon.  We sat down at the busy counter & my father in-law began ordering the All American breakfast.  I glanced at the menu and noticed it was only $6.99.  My pecan waffle, bacon and coffee would cost the same if not more for less food.  So when it came my turn next suddenly I was ordering the All American breakfast as well.  The length of the time it takes to order this entree should disuade anyone from ever doing so.  I felt sorry for the waitress as she had to repeat these multiple choices over and over again as each of us ordered: "What kind of waffle? -me "pecan"  How would you like your eggs?' -me "scrambled". "Bacon, ham or sausage?" -me "bacon"  "white, wheat, raisin, texas toast or biscuit?" -me Texas toast "Would you like cheese, tomato or onion on your hash browns?" -me being culinarily frugal by patronizing a Waffle House...."no, plain please".  And then I ate almost everything on my multiple plates except the Texas toast.  We all shuffled out of the restaurant groaning at our excess.  A short walk was tried following our return home but that failed to elicit any energy.  It was the beginning of a brand new day and I felt like a complete slug.  The only thing that carb fest produced was an unrelenting desire to take a nap!  So the first half of the day is a virtual loss.

Some good news....following that refreshing leisurely nap - I did hit the basement for some weight work on back & abs.

Then following a shower & lunch I got an unusual craving for something sweet. So of course I whipped up a batch of apple crisp from a box of snickerdoodle cookie mix and apple pie filling that had somehow escaped the winter's "clean eating" pantry sweep.    Luckily that carton of vanilla ice cream that I'd been contemplating tossing in the garbage the last few months was also still there.  Now THAT was a taste treat!  There's still a lot left if anyone wants to come over and save me from further decadence.

So the only logical thing to do next is sit down on the couch and watch your Netflix movie
 - Food, Inc.  
Basically there's nothing on the footage I didn't already know.  I try to avoid purchasing meat produced from the huge factory farms like Smithfield pork & Tyson chicken.  Thankfully they didn't show any truly disturbing footage.  As I watched a family agonize over the high price of produce vs. a trip to Burger King, I patted myself on the back for the delicious sugar snap peas I'm currently harvesting that came from a seed packet costing $2.99.  Other attempts are made to eat more organically even if they are more expensive.  I willingly pay more for cage free brown eggs and try to avoid processed mixes like the ones I used to make my Apple crisp:)     Sometime Less IS More!  I'm ok paying more for less food as long as it's higher quality.  Food is vitally important.  I can't imagine having losing your child to death by e coli being your reason to take food and food legislation more seriously.  I did like the one "takeaway" from this movie.  You get an opportunity to Vote with your mouth three times a day.  Let's hope all of us make better choices in the future!

Today was my Cheat Day.  Sadly for many, overindulgent cheap food choices are the norm.  I really liked our waitress at Waffle House but I think she might be retired before I visit again.


No comments:

Post a Comment