Monday, September 2, 2013

Perfecting the Protein Pancake

I love brunch. 
 It's quite likely that the main reason I adore this meal so much is because you only get to enjoy it on a day off work.  It's the leisurely conclusion to the perfect morning doing what YOU want to do.  Ok so maybe this perfect morning also typically includes a load or two of laundry.  Since you aren't in a rush to get to work, you can also expand your menu options into things you don't normally consume during the work week.  I think pancakes are often found on this menu.  However following a lengthy morning workout I really didn't want just a plate of carbs covered in sugar.  I needed nutrition & I wanted a holiday treat, but I didn't want to negate all my hard work.  So I decided to try a recipe posted in the last Z Life Zumba magazine.

Protein Pancakes
1 scoop vanilla whey protein
1/2 cup Oats
1 tsp. baking powder
1 egg white  (I used the entire egg)
1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yougurt
1 Tablespoon milk (I used Almond)

  You just blend the ingredients well & drop about 1/2 cup of the mix onto a preheated pan sprayed with nonstick spray.  I cooked for 2 minutes on one side, flipped & cooked the other side for 1 minute.  For 2 people I doubled this recipe & got 4 large pancakes.



Honestly without a covering of butter, syrup &/or fruit this base recipe is a little dry.  However I'll definitely be trying it again.  I think next time I'll add more milk, a little oil, some applesauce or pumpkin puree.  It just needs a little tweaking & what printed recipe doesn't need a little personalization? 

 I'd do it for you tomorrow......but unfortunately I'm expected to be at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment